YEAR: 1958

LEYAVA - Classic Winner Producing Mare

Leyava (1958 Garrison Hanover-Pollyapolis), Aus family of Lady Ajax; 2:09.6, $1,710; 2 wins; 11 foals, eight to race for seven winners and 1 qualifier. Breeder J S Sellars. All foals bred by A M Sellars.

Leyava raced briefly from four to seven winning at Roxburgh (4yo) and Winton (5yo). Placed at six and seven, she became a very successful broodmare.

Equal with Lordship for number of winners produced, Leyava's sire Garrison Hanover was imported to NZ in 1955 standing at stud for 28 years for Bill Denton having to be humanely destroyed in March 1981. His was a quality pedigree by Billy Direct from a Guy McKinney mare (Gloria Hanover) from Peter The Great mare Queenly McKinney. He was a good winner in the USA against the best horses of his day. He was sire of Garry Rowan, who sired Garry's Advice and Classic Garry who left Chandon in Australia. Leading sire for three consecutive years 1966-7 to 1968-9, Garrison Hanover was leading broodmare sire in 1982/3.

His 501 winners included Caledonian Garrison (GN Derby), Cardinal Garrison (GN & NSW Derbies, AK Cup), Dandy Briar (AK Cup), David Garrison (NZ 2yo Championship), Game Adios, Main Adios & New Law (NZ Derby), Garry Dillon (NZ Cup), Lady Nugent & Shalimar (NZ Oaks), Speedy Guest (GN Derby, Messenger), Waitaki Hanover (GN Derby, NZFFA, AK & Hunter Cups).

Garrison Hanover's broodmare sire credits included Albas Reign (NZ 2yo Championship, NZ Derby), Balcove (NZFFA, Easter Cup), Classiebawn (NZ Breeders Stakes), Harvest Gold (GN Oaks)& Hilarious Guest (refer Loyal Guest)

Dam Pollyapolis was by Indianapolis from Fortune's Favourite, a grand daughter of Miss Fortune, most prominent of Edith's foals. Pollyapolis was a six-race winner spread over four seasons (Invercargill, Wyndham, Ashburton twice, Addington & Forbury Park). Besides Leyava, Pollyapolis left Gore Cup winner Trigside; Va Vite, dam of Calton Hill (winner of the inaugural NZ 4yo Championship); granddam of Karalea (Roxburgh Cup), Glen Moira (Winton, Roxburgh & CPTC Winter Cups); third dam of Rapture (Southland Oaks), Kildonnan (Riverton, Yarra Valley & Warragul Cups)

The Australian family of Lady Ajax was founded in 1880's, the result of mating Ajax with Lady Fisher. Two of her offspring were sire Piccaninny (9 Sydney wins; sire of 46 winners; sire of the third dam of Lawn Derby) and Edith, who when exported to NZ began a very successful branch of this family through her filly Miss Fortune. Those tracing to this family include Free Hall (ID Pacing Final), Tobacco Road (NZ Derby), Radiant Fortune (WA Cup), Trevira (Easter Cup), Pacific (USA Breeders Crown), Yankee Loch (Rowe Cup, ID Trot Final), Flight South (AK Cup), Pullover Brown (VIC, NZ, & Aus Oaks, NZ Breeders Stakes), Moment In Time (AUS Oaks), Fleur De Lil (WA Oaks, Aus 3f Breeders Crown, 1:53.4AUS), Sovereignty (GN Trotting Derby, National Trot, T1:56.7) with the quickest being Montecito (1:49.2US).

Leyava's male progeny include:

Profiteer, winner of six races, the first 2 at four (Wyndham, Forbury Park). The Reefton Cup and 2 Addington wins followed plus second in the Hororata Cup at five with a final win at Addington as an 8yo. Profiteer sired five winners.

Ryal, a good Southland pacer for owner/trainer Jim Dynes, whose 9 wins were recorded from three to five. His single win at three was at Oamaru before finishing second in the Queens Birthday Stakes. At four, 7 wins with 3 at Invercargill, 1 at Wyndham and 3 at Addington (at Easter - Rattray & Plains Handicaps, NZ Autumn Stakes). His single win at five was at the NZ Cup carnival in the Canterbury Restricted FFA. Ryal was exported to North America.

Sassanach, a classy twelve-race winner before he was exported to North America. Sassenach recorded 4 wins at three. The major win was the NZ 3yo Championship at Addington. His outstanding season at 4 included the NZ Cup meeting wins in the Hayward & Churchill Hcps, CPTC Presidents Hcp before 2 heat wins at the 1971 Addington ID's (2nd in another heat but unplaced in the final). His Final 2 NZ wins were at Addington as a 5yo in the Le Lievre & Ollivier Hcps. Sassenach placed in each of the following three seasons - at 6, third in the Miracle Mile, fourth in the Ollivier Hcp; at seven, third in the Clarendon FFA and at eight, second in CPTC Presidents Hcp.

Shavande, winner of five races in Southland starting with 2 wins at three (Wyndham & Gore). Further 2 wins at Wyndham at four before his final win at five (Gore Cup). he raced for two further seasons without success before export to North America.

Stampede, winner of 11 races over four years reaching Cup class. He started with 6 wins as a 4yo (Winton, Invercargill, Hutt Park(2), Addington(2)) with a second in the Wyndham Cup and fourth in the NZ 4yo Championship. Stampede's 4 wins at five were at Forbury Park, Addington and Alexandra Park twice including ID Consolation as well as running third in the Easter Cup (Hands Down). A solitary win at six was recorded in the Ray Coupland Stakes (previously the Ollivier Hcp) during the Addington Cup carnival. At seven Stampede placed second in the Kaikoura Cup and fourth in NZFFA. The Young Charles stallion sired 51 winners (Defoe 1:53.00TT, Taylor Mile, 4yo Superstars, ID Heat; Lady Bonnie, Ashburton Cup; Stands To Reason NZSS 2c, Cardigan Bay Stakes at 2); damsire of 35 winners (Wingandaprayer, Riverton Cup; Les Lisle, Waimate, Amberley & Tuapeka Cups; Onedin Crusader, Kurow &Timaru Winter Cups; Onedin Lecacy, Invercargill Cup).

Zabadak, Stampede's half brother was an open class pacer who won on eleven occasions. A winner at three at Invercargill, where he also finished second in Futurity and third in Southland Challenge Stakes. t four, Zabadac won at Winton, Invercargill and twice at Wyndham (Wyndham Cup). At five, wins were recorded at Wyndham, Forbury Park and Addington (Pan Am Mile consolation) together with second in the Gore Cup and fourth in the Easter Cup. Zabadac's 3 wins at six included Forbury Park (beating Bonnies Chance) and a double at Addington (Firestone Junior FFA, Wee Win FFA). He finished second in the White Heron Travelodge FFA, third in ID heat and fifth in Auckland Cup. He Placed at seven and eight; second in the Winton Cup, third Pan Am Mile consolation.

Leyava's fillies included:

(My) Saligna, born in NZ, unraced dam of Silken Smooth (2 wins, 2:00.8, fastest progeny), exported to Australia, her 10 foals produced six winners from seven to race mostly for Solid Earth Pty Ltd, Queensland.

Socialite, unraced, dam of Lady Megan, granddam of Greek To Me, Tom and Grace; Susan Who, dam of Flashbang, 1:55.0, Menangle

Credit: Peter Craig writing in Harnessed Aug 2015


YEAR: 1983

Camelot holds out Hands Down

Constant pressure, applied for 1800 of the 2000 metres in the Benson & Hedges NZ Free-For-All, brought about the downfall of the NZ Cup winner Steel Jaw at Addington. This time rival drivers were awake to the talents of Steel Jaw, and set about putting the pressure on right from the start.

Driver Norm Lang sent Steel Jaw in search of the lead from an outside barrier draw, but Stampede, Bonnie's Chance and Our Mana all went with him, forcing the Australian to cut out the first 400 metres in 26 seconds. From then on, it was no rest as Enterprise and Bonnie's Chance re-applied pressure with a round to go, and kept it on through the first mile in 1:57.2.

In the meantime, Robin Butt, driver of New Zealand Cup runner-up Camelot, and Peter Jones, driver of beaten Cup favourite Hands Down, were biding their time. As Steel Jaw, Bonnie's Chance and Enterprise began to show signs of strain on the home turn, Camelot swept up wide with Hands Down on his outer. These two drew clear and settled down to a torrid battle, which Camelot won by a long head.

There was no more delighted man on the course than Camelot's owner, Dr Harry Crofts, who had travelled all the way from Saudi Arabia to see the Cup carnival. Though Friday's win was Camelot's eleventh win, it was the first time Harry had seen one of them. Camelot's main mission now is the $180,000 Auckland Cup in February, with possibly a tilt at the Adelaide Inter-Dominion to follow the same month.

Hands Down, showed all his old fight, was gallant in defeat, while Stortford Lodge, who only graduated to such exalted company with a win on Cup Day, fought on gamely for his third though over three lengths back. Northern visitor Ben made up a lot of ground for a close fourth after settling back, while Enterprise, trapped three wide for most of the way, fought on gallantly for fifth. Not surprisingly, the others who took part in the hectic early battle with Steel Jaw had little left at the finish, Our Mana finished seventh, Stampede eighth, Bonnie's Chance ninth and Steel Jaw tenth.

Norm Lang admitted to being a little disappointed with the Cup winner's run. "Yes, he was a bit disappointing, even though he was under such pressure all the way," he said.

Camelot paced the mobile 2000 metres in 2:27.2, a mile rate of 1:58.5.

Credit: NZ Trotting Calendar


YEAR: 1984


If Dillon Dale's third in the NZ Cup was an outstanding effort, it paled in significance when measured against his success in the Benson and Hedges NZ Free-For-All.

The northerner credited his young Takanini trainer Don Dywer with his most satisfying success to date on his first campaign at Addington. Dwyer felt prior to the Cup Dillon Dale would distinguish himself, and he was right. The seven-year-old Gaines Minbar stallion lost 40 metres at the start, swept up to the lead in the middle stages and fought tenaciously to the wire when headed by Camelot and Our Mana even closer to the post. So the young trainer was out for revenge when he came up against Camelot and Our Mana again in the mobile 2000 metre Free-For-All, and revenge he got, albeit in the hardest possible manner.

When Cup winner Camelot and Te Puke Expects blasted out of the gate, Dillon Dale went off stride. He settled quickly, but was at the tail of the field and in trouble. Further disaster struck at the end of 300 metres when he broke again and his chances looked hopeless. But after a suicidal first quarter in 26.3, Camelot backed the pace off and Dwyer was quick to take advantage. With a round to go, he swept forward and was up outside Camelot at the 1000 metres. The pace quickened appreciably, but Camelot surrendered quickly at the 500 metres when Dillon Dale put his head in front. Under Dwyer's urgings, Dillon Dale opened up a winning break at the top of the straight, and was never seriously tested, winning by a length.

Enterprise, who lost his driver in the Cup, finished gamely after making a run wide on the turn and just took second by a neck from Cup runner-up Our Mana, who had every chance but just battled into third. He only just lasted for third by a nose from the solid finishing Stampede, another to lose his chance along with his driver in the Cup. Stortford Lodge ran on late for fifth clear of Gammalite, whose run was disappointing. He was struggling to stay in touch at the 800 metres and, though sixth home, was only a shadow of the horse who has thrilled New Zealanders on previous visits.

Just as disappointing was Camelot, who stopped badly to ninth. Trainer-driver Robin Butt attributed his defeat to "That first quarter - he's never gone that fast before in his life". Dillon Dale's time for the mobile 2000 metres was 2:28.1, a mile rate of 1:59.2.

Credit: Tony Williams writing in NZ Trotting Calendar


YEAR: 1991


This month marks the end of driving for Gavin Hampton, now aged 65. Having driven 250 winners since being first licenced in the 1946-47 season, he retires thinking how fortunate he was to train two of them. Near the start of his career, in 1952 and 53, he had Masterpiece and 29 years ago it was the handsome stallion, Radiant Globe.

He wouldn't separate the two on ability, though Masterpiece won him 6 and Radiant Globe 22. "The best was never seen of Masterpiece. I got him when he had won five and he won me six, including four on end. He had great speed. You could bring him into the straight about seventh or eighth and he would produce a brilliant finish; he was a better horse if you held him up."

An unsound son of Light Brigade, Masterpiece started his trot for Hampton by winning at Hutt Park, where he beat Inglewood, and then defeated First Victory at Addington. He went to Ashburton on Boxing Day, winning from Tribal Song and Tiberius, and brought up his fourth successive win in the Au Revoir Handicap at Addington from Vedette, Zulu and Dragoman. His sixth and final win of his career came the same season at Addington, where he won from Lauder Hall, Petite Yvonne and Maida Dillon.

"Radiant Globe was a lovely horse, a great horse to have round the place, and the kids could get on and ride him. You knew he was always going to do his best for you."

Hampton's best driving tally was in the 1970-71 season when he won 21 and Radiant Globe gave him eight of them, including the Greymouth Cup from Barrhill and Jacquinot Bay, and the New Brighton Cup from True Averil and Barrhill. It was also the season of his greatest disappointment. "The 1971 Inter-Dominions were at Addington, and he couldn't start on the first night because he got tied up. On the second night he ran fourth and he won on the third night with a faster rate than any of the other three winners (Stella Frost, Manaroa and Rain Again). He missed out on a start in the Final by one point." To illustrate the good prospect he would have been in the Final, Radiant Globe won the 13 furlong Consolation from Globe Bay by more than six lengths in 3:27, after Stella Frost took 3:38 2/5 in the Grand Final. "I was lucky to get a horse like that," he said.

Hampton's first job was at Takanini at F J Smith's Village Farm. It was a top stable, including at the time Josedale Dictator and Volo Senwood. You had to pick up all you learned, but it was different than what it is these days. He had 11 boys on the staff and they each had two horses to look after and they were strapped for an hour and a quarter every day. "It was three months before I got my first day off, and six months before I was allowed in the cart," he said.

His first winning drive was after he had returned south, to where his father Joe was training at East Eyreton in North Canterbury. "My father wasn't very pleased about it. I drove Rowan McCoy at Greymouth, where it was usual to have two starts in the day. In the first of them, when he was paying 100 to win, I miscounted the number of rounds, and got him going to run fourth. I won with him later in the day, but he was hot favourite then," he said.

He gained a professional licence in 1950 and moved to Belfast, where Masterpiece - later the sire of top pacer Master Alan - and the U Scott trotter Ecosse joined the team. Cara Nelson was another good winner at the time, and in the early 60s he produced Wendy Dawn to win the NZ Oaks and the Nelson Cup, and Belmartial to win the NZ Trotting Stakes. In 1966, he moved to Weedons, where he trained and drove such good winners as Glen Bell, Final Donn, Pineship, Grovenor Globe, and Radiant General who won the 1975 Golden Slipper Stakes.

His driving successes included the Westport Cup behind Slick Chick, the Superstars Final with Lucky Boy, the NZ Free-For-All with Radiant Globe, feature races with Stampede and Zabadak, and the Canterbury Park Cup behind Philemon.

Hampton has noticed great changes in the style of driving in recent years. "It used to be stereotyped, but now it's all hustle and bustle. People are going for the money and they seem to under more pressure. When I first started you would follow someone who would show you how to get the gaps, like Maurice Holmes. I had my first drives for the season at Nelson last month and I couldn't get over it. I would think I'd be going alright, in a good position, then I'd find myself out the back. It's a different ballgame now," he said.

For many years a committeeman on the Trainers and Drivers Association, Hampton considers the Conference could have involved more professional men in some of its decision-making, and worries about the little protection for cadets after they leave the scheme. "It seems too easy to get a licence, and this must have an effect on the future of the young ones."

"The cost and pressure doesn't make harness racing as enjoyable as it used to be," he said. Hampton, whose last driving success was in the 1987-88 season, did not have his first drives this season until the recent Nelson meeting. He leased Parklane for the curcuit, and hopes to end his career driving the same horse at Addington - the scene of his most memorable wins.

Credit: Mike Grainger writing in HRWeekly 3Jul91


YEAR: 1984

David Butt, Camelot, Robin Butt & the owner Harry Crofts

"We'll start in everything how except waterjumps." So said a jubilant Dr Harry Crofts after Camelot ran out a three quarter length winner of the NZ Cup at Addington.

Camelot edged past the pacemaking Dillon Dale in the final 100 metres of the $125,000 feature to score a popular win. Dillon Dale lost second in the shadows of the post to Our Mana, while Hands Down headed the remainder some four lengths away.

While all the glory of the win went to Camelot, the Cup was marred to a great extent by a melee with a little under 700 metres to run in which the chances of seven horses were extinguished. George Shand, the driver of Borana, was suspended up to and including December 15 after being found guilty of causing interference to Diamond Moose at the 700 metres. Diamond Moose (Murray Butt) was brought down in the incident, while Double Cove (Jack Smolenski) fell, Enterprise (Peter Shand) fell, Supreme Ruler (Richard Brosnan) fell, Stampede (Gavin Hampton)lost his driver, as did Stortford Lodge (Paul Young). Also hampered badly in the incident was Norton. Peter Shand and Jack Smolenski both needed hospital treatment, Shand dislocating a shoulder while Smolenski broke an ankle. None of the remaining drivers were badly injured, mainly being shaken and bruised. Several horses had skin grazes but none were seriously injured.

Camelot settled back on the outer for Robin Butt. The pre-race and race-day favourite made his move with some 950 metres to run, improving three wide and being followed all the way by Our Mana. Camelot had just joined Diamond Moose at the 700 metres when the melee took place. Dillon Dale, who had broken at the start and lost up to 40 metres, looped the field on the back of Hands Down to lead at the 1500 metres. He still had control as the field swung for home and, despite his early mistake, fought back tenaciously when challenged by Camelot. Camelot edged ahead slowly but surely as the post loomed and had three quarters of a length over Our Mana at the line. The latter fought on well after trailing Camelot up from the 950 metres and coming off his back with 150 metres to run.

For 57-year-old Harry Crofts, the Cup win was a lifetime ambition fulfilled. After running second to Steel Jaw in his record run Cup 12 months previously and then winning the NZ Free-For-All, Camelot bounced back to form with a win from 29 metres in Mid-October. That return to form, plus his effort in the Cup a year earlier, brought Camelot to the forefront of discussions.

Said Harry Crofts at the presentation: "I would have cried if he'd lost...I can cry now that he's won."

Camelot will have further chances to demonstrate his ability before the season is completed. He will leave on November 20 for Sydney where he will contest the Australian Pacing Championship at Harold Park. After that he will be aimed at the Auckland Cup, followed by the Inter-Dominions at Moonee Valley in March. "After that it's off to the Meadowlands for the World Cup," said Harry Crofts. A tilt at that rich world class event will probably depend on his efforts during the next few months.

"I was never really worried," said Robin Butt after the race. "He was a bit slow early, but I gave him time to find his feet." Butt,41, has had Camelot in his care since being broken in by Alec Wright. The horse has had his share of problems in the last 12 months, a virus attack in Auckland last December and a lot of minor setbacks since have not helped the stallion. "He has kept right on improving this spring," said Robin Butt, "and peaked on the right day." While Camelot missed the melee at the 700 metres, he was involved in minor incident on the way to the course," said Harry Crofts. "He took a bit of skin off his rump. It was probably a good thing," he added. "I think it may have woken his ideas up a bit."

Camelot's victory in the Cup was only the third occaion on which Harry Crofts had seen his horse win. "I came over for the Cup meeting last year and saw him win the Free-For-All on Show Day," said Harry. He arrived back in New Zealand last March after spending two years stationed in Saudi Arabia. "I saw him win at the Canterbury Park meeting...and now today."

Harry Crofts has been involved in the trotting industry since 1950. "I bought my first horse when I was 23," he said. "I'd just qualified as a doctor and with my first wage bought a .22 rifle and the second a horse." Whether the gun was later used on other standardbred purchases Harry didn't say, but he added that he had raced "over 40 horses" since that time, "winning the odd race here and there", but that Camelot was by far the best he had had.

Harry Crofts bred Camelot from the Blue mare Blue Brook, a mare he purchased in 1971. "I was busy in my rooms the day Alan Holmes was having a sale and I asked Wayne Francis to buy a mare for me," said Mr Crofts. "I liked Blankets but knew she would fetch too much so I told Wayne to go up to $1500 to buy her three-quarter sister Blue Brook, who was in foal to Fallacy at the time. He only had to go to $1250 to get her then, after having a look at her blood, asked if he could go halves in the mare with me. We couldn't decide on who would take the first foal from her so agreed to let our wives have the first foal and then take alternative foals, with myself starting off." Apart from Camelot, Blue Brook has left minor winners in Timely Jubilee, Cover Story (US 2:02.4) and Brookby Blue. Camelot is the first Cup winner from the Norice family to which he belongs. Norice, herself a top mare, so many years ago, ran second in the 1904 NZ Cup.

While the honours were with Camelot, good runs came from the two other placegetters, Our Mana and Dillon Dale, especially the latter. A little slow early, Our Mana sat back behind Camelot all the way. Colin De Filippi didn't miss a beat when Camelot and Butt improved with 950 metres to run. Like Camelot, Our Mana was particularly lucky to miss any interference from the melee at the 700 metres. He followed Camelot until well into the straight, pulled off his back with 200 metres to run but couldn't bridge the gap. "Every chance," said Colin De Filippi after, "we were beaten by a better horse on the day."

The effort of Dillon Dale in finishing third was a feature of the race. The Takanini-trained seven-year-old galloped away and lost 40 metres before trainer-driver Don Dwyer could settle him into a pace. After catching the body of the field with 2400 metres to run, he improved three wide following Hands Down and took command with 1500 metres to run. With the winner running the 3200 metres in 4:06.4, one would have expected Dillon Dale to be struggling when the pressure was applied, but he fought back tenaciously all the way down the straight and lost second in the last few strides, being only half a neck away from Our Mana.

Fourth, four lengths away, was Hands Down. He began well from ten metres and Peter Jones improved him wide to lead with 1900 metres to run. He took a trail when Dillon Dale swept up and into the lead with 1500 metres to run but was under pressure to hold the trail at the 400 metres. He battled bravely to the wire.

Northern hope Te Puke Expects was fifth. He trailed early then settled back on the fence. He was under pressure a fair way from home and only battled. He comfortably beat Hilarious Guest, who lead from the 2400 metres to the 1900 before trailing. She dropped away from the 600 metres and was clear of the Australian champion Gammalite. He began well from 30 metres but was forced three wide from the 2400 metres. Bruce Clarke improved the gelding to sit without cover with a lap to run but Gammalite was obviously a beaten horse with 400 metres to run.

Only Norton and Borana of the remaining eight runners completed the course. Norton broke at the start and lost 20 metres before settling. He was making a move to follow Camelot and Our Mana round when badly checked in the accident at the 700 metres, his chances being extinguished.

Credit: Brian Carson writing in NZ Trotting Calendar

In the event that you cannot find the information you require from the contents, please contact the Racing Department at Addington Raceway.
Phone (03) 338 9094